Sun 17 Jan 2010, 13:45 PM | Posted by admin|
Jyoti Basu, who died here Sunday, resigned from active politics in 2000 but continued to guide the communist movement in India.
Following is a chronology of his life:
- Born in Calcutta (now Kolkata), July 8, 1914.
- Graduated from Presidency College with honours in English. He did his Bar at Law from London where he got introduced to Marxism and politics.
- Returned to India in 1940. Joined Communist Party of India (CPI).
- In 1944 he was a functionary of Bengal railway workers' union.
- In 1946 he was elected to the Bengal legislative assembly, defeating Humayun Kabir of Congress.
- He won from Baranagar assembly constituency in 1952, 1957, 1962, 1967, 1969 and 1971. He lost the seat in the 1972 snap polls.
- In 1964, he helped set up the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
- In 1967, he became deputy chief minister in a coalition government in Bengal.
- Became chief minister of West Bengal June 21, 1977 and headed the Left Front government till Nov 6, 2000.
- Narrowly missed a chance to become India's prime minister in 1996 after his party's veto. He later called the party decision a "historic blunder".
- In 2000, he announced his retirement from active politics and stepped down as chief minister on health grounds.
- In 2004, he played a key role to stitch an alliance between the Left parties and the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
--Indo-Asian News Service
IndiaVision Blog comments powered by
» Crash Story
» Chronology of Jyoti Basu's life
» Jyoti Basu: Marxist who almost became India's PM Died Today
» Annular Solar Eclipse 15th January, 2010
» My Name is Khan a love story: SRK
» Terror suspect Headley not our agent, says CIA
» Chiranjeevi resigns, explains new "united Andhra" passion
» India-Lanka ODI shifted to Nagpur
» Italian PM Berlusconi struck in face, bloodied
» Telangana: Govt gives in, KCR ends fast
» India rout Lanka, become World No 1 Test side
» At least 101 killed in Russian nightclub blast
» Has India changed after 26/11?
» Islam - the lawful (Halaal) and the prohibited (Haram)
» 4 MNS MLAs suspended for attacking Abu Azmi
» 40 hours on, Jaipur's oil depot still ablaze
» Fire at oil depot in Jaipur; 6 killed, 150 injured
» Andhra CM YSR Reddy, 4 others killed in crash
» ISRO launches virtual globe-mapping â€˜Bhuvanâ€™
» A chat with Dr.Devi Shetty
» Tribute to Michael Jackson - 'King of Pop'
» Homage to Kamala Suraya
» Hamas, The Best Chance for Peace in the Land of the Philistines
» PANADOL : Beware
» Is the Bull Market Real, or Will it Fizzle?
» IPL Plans Longer Strategy Breaks This Season
» Women Education in Modern India
» Higher Education in India
» New Income Tax Forms for 2009-10 AY Notified
» You Can Vote "None of the Above"
» Elections 2009: India Awakening
» All ready to vote for change - but for whom and what?
» Throwing a shoe â€“ and reminding us about crimes 25 years ago
» Shah Rukh and Aamir: Khan they?
» Who will be the next PM of India ?
» Humble and Contrite Thieves: Goldman Sachs wants to pay back 25% and walk away
» DIFFERENT KIND OF INVESTMENTS
» The Seven Mistakes All Novice Traders Make and How to Correct Them
» Israelâ€™s Death Culture, a Dragging Anchor
» Black Money in Swiss Bank
» Decay of Spiritual Values in India
» Youth of India's lack of interest in politics
» How to help children avoid becoming addicted to television
» Hobbies for Busy Women
» How to prepare for exams ?
» Exams for kids, fever for parents
» Mumbai celebrates Vada-Pav day today
» Microsoft to Launch Windows Mobile 7 Next Year
» Google uses 1000 machines
» Exercise At Work
» January 2010
» December 2009
» November 2009
» October 2009
» September 2009
» August 2009
» July 2009
» June 2009
» April 2009
» March 2009
» February 2009
Art & Culture
Foods & Beverages
Health & Fitness
Tours & Travels
Web Design & Development
Get the blog's RSS feed
About RSS Feeds
Sphere: Related Content