Tata AIG General Insurance Company Limited, more popularly known as Tata AIG General, was formed as a joint venture company between Tata Group and American International Group, Inc. (AIG). The former holds 74 per cent stake in the insurance venture, while the latter is in the control of the rest 26 percent. The insurance company was established after the liberalization of the Indian insurance sector (2000) and commenced its operations in the following year i.e. 2001, on January 22.
At the start, Tata AIG General Insurance had only six branches for running its operations. However, the professional and trustworthy conduct of the insurance company has led it to the point where it has an extensive branch network, straddling almost the entire country. It is also credited for having a number of firsts within its profile. Tata AIG General was the first to introduce a toll free helpline number and a mobile claims service. The company is also regarded as the pioneer in claims registration and policy renewals via SMS.
Tata AIG General Insurance Company Limited offers a complete range of general insurance policies, for motor, home, accident and health, travel, energy, property and casualty, marine and liability purposes, as well as several specialized financial lines. Apart from its wide and varied product basket, the insurance company also ensures quick and easy claim settlements, which in turn, has helped it in not only retaining the old customers (winning their loyalty), but also gaining new ones.