Masters of Business Administration
Masters of Business Administration or MBA is a postgraduate degree in business communication. The MBA program is recognized worldwide and is considered as a major step towards a successful business management career.
A degree in MBA ensures that the students are equipped with all the necessary knowledge, theoretical as well as practical, which can benefit them tremendously in managerial and administrative jobs. The students pursuing a course in MBA develop certain skills within, which includes: Business knowledge, Leadership skills and the art of networking.
The duration course can range from 12 months to 24 months.
The options available for the MBA students are:
- MBA in Systems Management
- MBA in Finance
- MBA in Human Resource (HR)
- MBA in Operation Management
- MBA in Marketing
After the completion of the MBA course, an individual can pursue a career in the following fields:
Eligibility for the course:
- Human Resource Management
- Financial sector
- Marketing and sales
- Advertising (some institutes offer MBA in Advertising and even otherwise a candidate with MBA in marketing can make a career in advertising field).
- Start a own business
- Career in IT (but the candidate would be dealing the managerial aspect of an IT firm)
- Career in Import-Export
- Career in foreign trade
A student needs to have completed his/her graduation from any stream (which is UGC recognized). Candidates with prior job experience are preferable.
Every Management institute has its own Entrance tests. Some of the well-known Entrance tests are:
Top institutes in India for MBA:
- CAT (Common Admission Test):The Common Admission Test (CAT) is
conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management and is the first step in the
process of seeking admission to the IIMs. CAT has the widest coverage in
Quantitative, Verbal and Reasoning areas of testing and is hence known to be the
'mother of all examinations'.
- GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test):The GMAT is required for
admission to business school. The GMAT is an aptitude test. Like all aptitude
tests, it must choose a medium in which to measure intellectual ability.
- CET (Common Entrance Test):The Common Entrance Test - Maharashtra
(CET) is conducted by the Directorate of Technical Education and is accepted by
over 80 Institutes in Maharashtra.
- JMET (Joint Management Entrance Test):The Joint Management Entrance
Test (JMET) is the first step in the process of seeking admission to the
Post-Graduate Degree Programs in Management offered by IITs and IISc.
- Symbiosis national aptitude test:The Symbiosis National Aptitude
Test is a single entrance test for admissions to Symbiosis group of
institute's autonomous postgraduate programs.
- IIM (Indian Institute of Management): This institute has its centers in
Ahmedabad, Calcutta, Banglore and Lucknow.
- Symbiosis center for management and human research development, Pune
- Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- Xaviers Labour Relations Institute, Jamshedpur
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), Delhi