One of the most commonly found ailments; anemia can be
described as the loss of red blood cells or hemoglobin in blood. Hemoglobin is
the carrier of oxygen to the various parts of our body. Decrease in red blood
cells means decrease in the carrying capacity of the blood. Anemia is,
primarily, the result of nutritional deficiency in our body. The most common
symptoms of anemia are numbness, tingling sensation, depression, irritability
and memory loss. However, the symptoms would vary according to the increase in
the severity of the ailment. There are numerous ways to treat anemia naturally. Symptoms
- Lack of energy and dizziness
- Haggard look
- Premature wrinkles
- Dull and tired-looking eyes
- Shortness of breath on exertion
- Slow healing of wounds
- Impaired memory and ability to think
- Being intolerant of cold temperatures
- Rapid pulse
- Burning sensation in the tongue
- Dryness in the mouth and throat
- Sores at the corners of lips
- Altered sense of touch
- Brittle, spoon-shaped nails, with vertical stripes and a
tendency to fray
- Pica (an insatiable craving for a specific food, like liquorice)
- Brittle hair
- Difficulty in swallowing anything
- Loss of blood
- Deficient production of red blood cells and/or hemoglobin
- Red blood cells being broken down too quickly
- Inadequate intake of iron, vitamins and proteins
- Heavy loss of blood due to injury
- Bleeding piles
- Lack of hydrochloric acid in the stomach
- Intestinal parasites or worms
- Certain inherited blood diseases eg. thalassaemia
- Lack of Vitamin B12
- Inadequate diet
- Food not being absorbed properly (due to bowel disease)
- Chemotherapy drugs
- Liver disease
- Long-term heavy alcohol use
- Diseases of the bone marrow
- Acute blood loss: heavy periods, internal bleeding (ex from
- Chronic renal failure
- Endocrine disorders, like low thyroid activity
- A proper, well-balanced diet is very beneficial for anemic
people. Their diet should constitute of cereals, rice, pastas, dairy
products (milk, yogurt and cheese), dry beans, eggs, vegetables and
fruits, meat, poultry, fish and nuts.
- Foods rich in iron are also effective in curing anemia. Liver,
green leafy vegetable, beets, dried fruits, bran flake, oysters,
brown rice, lentils molasses, raisins and prunes have high iron
content. Breads and pastas made from whole grain flour are also high
in iron. Try to include all these food items in your diet.
- Food items cooked in iron pots get increased iron content. Thus,
cooking food in iron pots can prove to be effective in curing
- The term 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away' is suitable in
case of anemia. Try to consume 2 to 3 apples on a daily basis. They
have rich iron content and thus, are helpful in treating anemia.
- While anemic people are recommended to have food rich in iron
content, Vitamin C is required for the absorption of iron. Try to
include lots of citrus fruits in your diet, such as orange, lemon,
- Vitamin B12 is very helpful in curing anemia. Animal protein and
organic meats, like kidney and liver, are considered to be good
sources of this vitamin. Consuming them will prove to be beneficial
for those suffering from anemia.
- Consumption of beetroot, as a cooked vegetable or in salad, is
one of the best home remedies for anemia. You can also consume
beetroot juice for the purpose.
- Sun bath is also recommended for anemic people, as it increases
the production of red blood cells.
- Anemia can be cured by eating about 1/2 to 1 tsp. of the
tincture of Yellow dock root, thrice in a day. You can also go for
1/2 to 1 tsp of extract of dandelion leaf and/or root, twice a day.
- Consumption of a ripe banana; mashed and mixed with a tablespoon
of honey, will prove to be beneficial in treating anemia.
- Apple and tomato juice have been found to be beneficial in
treating anemia. Consume a glass of each, at least once in a day.
- Soak about 7 almonds, in water, overnight. Throw away the water
in the morning, peel off the skin of almonds and grind them, to form
a paste. Have this paste in the morning, for at least three months.
- Anemic can benefit from a combination of apple cider vinegar and
blackstrap molasses. Combine 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp
of blackstrap molasses and add 1 cup water. Drink this decoction
once a day.