Medically known as osteophytes, bone spur can be described as
the growth of an extra bone over the normal bone. Bone spur is mostly seen in
people who are above the age of 60. It mostly occurs along the joints,
especially those of the spine, feet, shoulders, hips, hands and knees. While
bone spur is not painful, it causes problem when it rubs against the normal bone
or nerves. The condition of bone spur is indicative of spine degeneration, as it
is caused when the surface area of joint is damaged. The most common symptoms of
bone spur are pain in the back, neck, shoulder, thighs, arms or legs. There are
some factors that increase the possibility of the occurrence of bone spur, such
as lack of proper nutrition, faulty lifestyle, accidents and sport injuries.
However, it can be effectively treated using some home remedies. Symptoms
- Back and neck pain
- Pain in shoulders
- Progressive weakness
- Pain in one or both arms and/or legs
- Numbness or tingling sensation
- Progressive bowel and bladder dysfunction, in some cases
- Pain while standing or walking
- Radiating pain into the shoulders (often including headaches)
- Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH)
- Plantar fasciitis
- Spinal stenosis
- Constant pressure, rubbing or stress in a particular area
- Physical instability
- Arthritis and other diseases
- Osteomyelitis, a bone infection
- Charcot foot i.e. neuropathic breakdown of feet, primarily seen
- To treat bone spur, the first step would be to lessen the
inflammation. Applying an ice pack to the affected area would help
reduce the swelling. Continue doing this 4 to 5 times a day.
- Another effective way to cure a person with bone spur would be
to give him 500 to 1000 mg of curcumin (the yellow pigment of
turmeric), 3 to 4 times a day, on an empty stomach.
- If there is pain, apply flaxseed hot pack to the affected area.
Take a thick cloth and put heated flaxseed in it. Apply on the
affected area and let it be there as long as it remains hot.
- Soak cheese cloth in warm linseed oil. Apply the cloth on the
affected area. Cover it with plastic and keep a heating pad on the
plastic covering for 2 hours.
- Indulging in alternate cold and hot water bath, for the affected
area, would be effective in treating bone spur.
- Bathe the joints with chamomile tea. Take a cup of boiling water
and steep 2-3 tsp fresh or dried chamomile flowers in it. Strain the
decoction and cool it down. Use it to bathe the painful joints.