Flatulence is the emission of gases present in the intestine.
The mixture of gases 'flatus' is released under pressure and creates a sound
accompanied by a foul odor. Apart from causing discomfort and pain due to
bloating, it also causes social embarrassment. The most common symptoms of
flatulence or more popularly known as gas are a feeling of bloating and
discomfort, excessive expulsion of wind, belching and pain in the abdomen. The
problem of flatulence is very common and usually due to dietary reasons.
Problems in digesting certain types of food cause flatulence. While for some it
might be due to lactose intolerance, the others may suffer it because of grain
based food. Yet, others might suffer due to foods which are heavy in
carbohydrates. Flatulence, however, is not a serious problem and can be cured
using natural treatments. Symptoms
- A feeling of bloating and discomfort
- Excessive expulsion of wind
- Pain in the abdomen
- Foul odor
- Presence of excessive amounts of bacteria in the intestines
- Consumption of large amounts of fibrous foods
- Consumption of products that contain malt extracts
- Digestive disorders that affect the GI tract, such as
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Food prepared under unhygienic conditions
- Contaminated water
- High-fat diet
- Metabolic breakdown of sulfur-containing proteins and amino
acids in the intestines
- Fat mal-absorption
- Swallowed air
- Breakdown of undigested foods
- Lactase deficiency
- Dark beer and red wine
- Starchy food, such as potato, corn, etc
- Certain Medication/Drugs
- Do not forget the basics of eating as this is the most natural
and effective way to treat flatulence. Eat slowly and chew the food
thoroughly. Do not gulp the food. This is the best way to cure the
problem of gas.
- In a cup of warm water, add 1/2 tsp of dry ginger powder with a
pinch each of asafetida and rock salt. Drink this mix to get
relieved from gas.
- Take a cup of lukewarm water and add 2 tsp of brandy. Intake
this before going to bed.
- Soak some ginger slices in lemon juice. Chew this after every
meal. This would help cure gas.
- In a tsp of honey, add a drop of dill oil. Intake this after
every meal to help treat flatulence.
- Grind 1 tsp of pepper, 1 tsp of dry ginger and 1 tsp of green
cardamom seeds. Add Â½ tsp of this mixture in water and drink it one
hour after meal.
- Peppermint also proves effective in treating flatulence. Not
only does it refreshes the breath, but also cures gas.
- Peppermint tea is also effective in treating flatulence. The
other tea includes anise tea, spearmint tea, and caraway tea.
Spearmint or peppermint candy would also do the trick.
- Avoid foods such as beans, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli,
yeast-containing foods such as breads and cheese. Carbonated drinks
also produce gas.
- Do not drink water after 15 minutes or during meals. It weakens
the digestive system.