Head louse is the presence of ectoparasites on the human
hair. While it is more often seen in children, adults are not spared from it
completely. For some people, it occurs during some seasons of the year, while
the rest have them at anytime. The presence of lice weakens the roots of the
hair and also causes hair fall. Apart from being unhygienic, these are also
social embarrassment for the person suffering. Lice may be caused due to untidy
hair, improper maintenance of long hair, staying with a person who is already suffering from it or using chemical-based shampoo, etc. once infected, lice should be removed instantly and the best way to do it would be to adhere to the natural ways. Symptoms
- Intense itching
- Swelling of the lymph nodes
- Lice on the scalp, body, clothing and pubic or other body hair
- Lice eggs or nits on hair shafts
- Small, red bumps on the scalp, neck and shoulders
- Not washing hair for a long time
- Coming in contact with people infected with head lice
- Contamination in school
- Head-to-head contact
- Body-to-body contact
- Close proximity to stored belongings of an infected person
- Using common pillows, blankets, combs and stuffed toys
- Sharing items, such as clothing, headphones, brushes, combs,
hair decorations, towels, etc
- Contact with contaminated furniture, like beds and closets
- One of the effective remedy for treating head louse would be to
extract the juice from an onion. Apply this juice on the scalp of
the head and keep it for 3 to 4 hours. Thereafter, shampoo the hair.
Repeat this process for 3 days.
- Grind a raw custard apple with its seeds. Store the powder in an
air tight box and apply it on the scalp before going to bed. Tie a
cloth bandage on it. Have a head wash the next morning.
- Alternatively, custard apple powder can be used to make a paste
using some water. Apply this paste and keep it overnight. Wash the
hair the next morning. Not only would it clear the lice and the
nits, but also keep the dandruff away.
- Mix 6 tsp of water and 2 tsp of vinegar. Dab this mixture on the
scalp and tie a cloth bandage over it. Keep it overnight. Apply this
mixture two times a week.
- Oil the hair using tea tree oil or any other essential oil at
the night. Have a head wash the next morning.
- Another way to use the tea tree oil would be to add 10-15 drops
of it into the shampoo. Use this shampoo as a hair wash.
- Oil the hair using mayonnaise oil. Keep it for two hours.
Thereafter, comb the hair.
- Take 3 to 4 tsp of butter and add a few drops of lemon to it.
Apply this mixture on the head and keep it for some time. (20
seconds given) Wash the hair thoroughly.
- Combine equal quantity of baby oil and vinegar. Apply this
combination on the scalp and keep it for an hour. Later, rinse
thoroughly using a shampoo.
- Have a head wash and then apply Listerine. Keep it for about 10
to 15 minutes after which, rinse the hair using water.
- Make a paste using 8 to 10 almonds. In this, add 2 to 3 tsp of
lime juice. Apply this paste and leave it for Â½ an hour. Rinse the
- Take 1 tsp each of garlic and lime juice and make a paste. Apply
this paste and keep it for half an hour. Thereafter, have a head
- Take an apple and chop it into small pieces. Apply these pieces
into the hair. Massage it well for about half an hour. Later, wash
the hair. Repeat this for three days.
- Add some camphor to a freshly extracted coconut oil. Keep this
overnight. Wash the hair the next morning. Repeat this process for
at least 4 days.