Hiccups are involuntary actions over which we have not
control. These reflex actions are caused due to the contractions in the
diaphragm muscles. The diaphragm muscle divides the chest from the stomach.
Hence, irritation in this causes breathing to be erratic, which causes the
sound. Other causes of hiccups are eating too much and too fast, sudden
excitement, hot and spicy foods, stomach disorders, kidney problems and
infection in lungs. Although hiccups disappear on their own, continuous hiccups
for a day or two is a cause for concern. Symptoms
The only symptoms of hiccups are a characteristic sound,
which is preceded by a small tightening sensation in your chest, abdomen or
throat. While some people have four hiccups in a minute, there are many who get
60 hiccups a minute. Usually, they are not a cause for concern. Still, if a
person has prolonged hiccups for more than 48 hours, it is a cause of worry and
requires medical attention. Causes
- Eating spicy food
- Eating a large meal
- Drinking too many carbonated beverages
- Swallowing excessive air
- Drinking alcohol
- Sudden temperature changes
- Tobacco use
- Sudden excitement or emotional stress
- Nerve damage or irritation.
- Central nervous system disorders
- Metabolic disorders
- A simple home remedy for hiccups would be to have water
frequently in short durations.
- Having a spoonful of peanut butter would work well in stopping
- Taking deep breaths when a person is having hiccups is
- A good home remedy for treating hiccups is to gargle, using
- Lick a tablespoon of sugar slowly. This is an effective natural
way to cure hiccups.
- Yet another simple trick would be to divert the mind to
something else. this is effective in stopping hiccups.
- In a cup of yoghurt, add 2 tsp of common salt. Have this slowly
to stop the hiccups.
- Take 2 cups of water and add Â½ tsp of cardamom powder to it.
Boil the water and then filter it. Have the filtrate to stop the
- Another remedy would be to suck crushed ice. This would provide
- Take a piece of ginger and suck it slowly. This would stop the
- Combine 1/2 tsp mustard seeds with 1/2 tsp of pure ghee. Swallow
this mixture as it would stop the hiccups instantly.