Lethargy is a condition that makes a person feel sluggish,
drowsy and tired. In such a state, a person feels least interested in his
surroundings, in inactive, displays low energy level and carries an attitude of
indifference. Some of the symptoms in a lethargic person are change in appetite
and bowel movements, pain in different parts of the body, difficulty in doing
daily work, fatigue, low concentration and difficulty in falling asleep.
Depression is one of the main causes for lethargy. Other causes include high
blood pressure, low blood pressure, diabetes, measles, constipation, adrenal
gland disorders, thyroid gland disorders and overdose of drugs or alcohol.
Lethargy, however, can be treated at home. Read on to know some home remedies
for lethargy. Symptoms
- Changes in bowel movement
- Changes in appetite patterns
- Difficulty in performing daily routine
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Pain at various places in the body
- Difficulty in falling asleep
- Head injury
- High blood pressure
- Low blood pressure
- Overdose of alcohol or drugs
- Poor nutrition
- Thyroid gland disorders
- Adrenal gland disorders
- Acute and chronic kidney failure
- Poor digestive absorption
- Environmental pollutants
- The most effective home remedy for treating lethargy will
comprise of a tea made from holy basil leaves. Put 10 leaves in a
cup of water and bring it to a boil. Strain this mixture and have it
when warm, not boiling hot.
- A hot bath will be effective in putting off the lethargic
- Have a glass of grapefruit juice regularly. It will prove to be
helpful in treating lethargy.
- Another effective remedy would comprise of a glass of fresh lime
juice, to be had every day. It is a good home remedy for curing
- Tea and coffee are also beneficial in energizing a lethargic
- Regularly exercise makes a person physically more active. It is
a great way to rid oneself of the feeling of lethargy.
- Increase the consumption of fruits, vegetables and grains, such
as millet, to keep the body well hydrated. It would help revive your
- Going on a sprout diet for two days in a month is effective in
getting over the feeling of lethargy.
- Massaging the body with essential oils, such as rosemary oil and
eucalyptus oil, is useful in treating lethargy.
- At times, people feel lethargic when they are involved in
uninteresting things. So, it is advisable to invest your time in
doing those things inw hcih you have an interest.
- Avoid consuming processed or canned food. Cold beverages like
soda and heavy drinks such as rich cream milk should also be
- Have a balanced diet and include lots of fruits, vegetables and
grains in your daily food consumption.