While the structure of your house is being set up there a number of
things about the home interior that have be taken care of at this
stage itself. This part of house interior design, may not make your
house look more beautiful but, is necessary to make your home more
comfortable and have a greater resale value. Here are a few things
about interior finishing that you should remember.
- Even though you may not install an alarm system right away,
ensure that the wiring is in place, so that you have the option of
installing the system later on. This will add to the resale value of
the house as well.
- Rough in for the built-in Vacuum System should be installed when
the house is being built, as it is less expensive at this stage.
- All insulation other than blown insulation can be installed at
this point. Drywall should be installed once insulation is done.
Ploy Vapor is inserted between the drywall and insulation and sealed
around outlets like doors and windows. Once insulation is installed,
the Insulation Inspector from City Hall will inspect it. Blown
insulation is installed when the
ceiling in placed and will be inspected during
Final Inspection. Using insulation can do soundproofing. This can be
used in baths, bedroom and between floors.
- After the insulation has been inspected the drywall can be
installed. Drywalls can be used for extra soundproofing.
- Before doing the cabinet, laying the
flooring the house should be cleaned thoroughly.
- The painter should finish painting the room in which
the linoleum and cabinets have to be installed. The can paint the
moldings and doors as well.
- The linoleum should be installed before the molding and cabinets
are installed. When this is done there are fewer chances of damage
to the linoleum.
- The carpenter will install the molding and cabinets in the rooms
that have been painted and where the linoleum has been laid. Molding
can be used to highlight or hide windows, doors or walls. For
cabinets get several quotations and don't compromise on quality
while trying to buy something less expensive.
- Ceramic tiles can be installed while the rest of the
finishing is being done.
- Sinks, taps, toilets in both the bathroom and kitchen can be
installed now and connected to the tank.
- Shelves and rods for the closet should be installed after the
painting has been done.
- Get the electrician to fix your light fixtures at this time.
- Curtains and Binds can be installed after the painting is done.
- The hardwood floor should be installed at the very end, as it is
likely to get damaged with all the work going on. This type of
flooring lasts long, is easy to clean and comes in a variety of
beautiful colors and this can be used in just one room or the whole
- Finally, after all the interior finishing is done install the
carpet so that there is no damage done to it.
- Allow the painter to touch up any spots on the wall and floor.
- Request the City Hall to conduct final inspection once
everything is complete. Once inspected and passed you will receive
the Occupancy Permit.
- For some municipalities an occupancy permit is mandatory to move
in, others do not require you to have one. Find out before you move
or you may be fined for moving into your house.