Removing Stains On Furniture
We try to be as careful as we can while using the furniture at home.
Inspite of this the furniture can get damaged due to everyday wear
and tear. If you are a little careless the furniture can get stained
very easily. While using furniture regularly it can get stained by
water, oil, color etc. These stains can be removed from the
furniture. Here are a few tips on removing common stains from
- The most common stains are the white spots and rings made by
- If it is a fresh stain then just remove the source of moisture
on the wood surface.
- The white ring is water vapor trapped on the surface of the
finish. It can disappear sometimes because it is reabsorbed by dry
air. Humidity can delay the process and using a hair dryer can
accelerate the process.
- If your table has a satin or dull sheen, use a very soft steel
wool pad and some lemon oil. Dip the pad in the oil and rub on the
stained area in the direction of the grain of the wood. When the
stain is removed you may have to polish the rest of the table to
even out the sheen. As a final touch wipe off extra oil and apply a
polish of your choice.
- For tables with glossy sheen use a little white toothpaste on a
dry cotton towel and rub on stain. It the spot gets glossier than
the rest of the area then use rubbing compounds to even the gloss.
Use a polish of your choice once you finish.
- A simple trick is to apply Vaseline on the stain and wipe it off
once it disappears.
- If none of the above work, then the water has penetrated deep
inside and you will have to refinish.
Removing Color Stains
- Stripping wood need not remove color from wood. You can lighten
wood if is stained dark.
- You can always stain wood to look darker but cannot always
lighten the stain.
- If the furniture is stained with aniline dye then you can remove
it using chemicals to bleach it. You will have to do this outdoors
and you must use a respirator.
- To remove dark stains from wood, like dark rings, gray oxidation
use oxalic acid
crystals. Make a saturated solution using the
crystals. That is mix with warm water till the crystals stop
- Sand the entire surface lightly and apply this solution over the
surface using a synthetic brush. Leave till the stain disappears.
- This treatment will raise the grain. You will have to sand the
surface to smoothen it. Wear a particle mask while sanding and do
this outdoors if possible.