Shoestring Budget and Home Decor
Creativity is not a slave of the wealthy and you can
decorate homes and make them look better and live more
efficiently even without spending a fortune. However, this may need
even more skill and hard labor so that you can do all the tangible
things yourself to cut off the expenses of hiring a professional.
Here are some tips for home décor that can be done on a shoestring
- For a particular look such as retro,
minimalist and contemporary, colonial, American, country, art deco
or funky 70s, search local flea markets and antique shows thoroughly
or go for machine-made reproductions.
- Add molding to your ceiling for the traditional look.
Layered moldings can simulate the look of richly carved crown
- Fake ceiling medallions, made of molded
plastic compounds but look like plaster, are quiet cheap and
- Try baseboard moldings to make your room
ooze elegance and sophistication but keep away from plastic moldings
- Used panels to hide ugly walls or wainscot
them 9paneling the bottom half of a wall) to add warmth to the room.
You can also use bead boards for narrow slats placed evenly. Go
cheaper with chair rails, painting the bottom half of the wall in a
contemporary color and add a wallpaper border to it.
- Wall-to-wall carpeting can add color, warmth
and texture to a dull and boring room and a thicker synthetic carpet
can soundproof your apartment from nosy neighbors.
- Nylon floor carpets last longer and are
easier to clean.
- Area rugs on a hardwood floor are less
expensive and offer more decorating variety than wall-to-wall
- Laminated floors can look like hardwood
- Floor tiles can make your floor look much
more beautiful and you can also use it on countertops.
- Tiles come in different varieties such as
clay based ones that are handmade, glazed, slippery, hard to clean
but can last much longer; porcelain tiles that are hard and are colored
well; terrazzo tiles made by setting marble or granite chips in
concrete and polishing; terracotta tiles that are water and
stain-resistant and are available in myriad of colors and styles.
Choose ones that suit your purpose and budget.
- Sheet vinyl sheets and tiles can simulate
almost anything and are thus very popular. They are easy to maintain
- Floating installation of laminate flooring
are easily removable, scratch-resistant and easy to maintain but are
not repairable and can get damaged by water.
- Cork tiles are inexpensive and warm but can
be damaged by water too.
- Unlike sophisticated and expensive linoleum
floors,concrete floors look earthy and rustic.
- Choose window treatments according to your
privacy and light needs and you windows may be bare or have simple
blinds and sheer curtains, if you have a great view outside.
- In bedrooms, you may want window treatments
that block out light. Drapes and curtains with thermal linings keep
rooms warmer in winter and cooler in summer.
Mini-blinds are very cheap. Other types of blinds are wood blinds,
faux wood blinds, metal, vinyl and fabric blinds and may be
horizontal or vertical as you choose. There are shades too such as
Roman shades that you can go through and coordinate with valances
painted and sewn at home for the elegant look you desire.