Tips On Controlling Mosquitoes
There is no doubt that the mosquito is the most irritating of all
house pests. After a mosquito bites you there is an itch that
doesn't seem to go away no matter what you do. The mosquito is
carrier of many disease causing viruses and pathogens. While biting
you it can transmit these diseases to you through its saliva. It is
only the female mosquito that bites. The
diet of male mosquitoes consists of nectar from
flowers. Many mosquito borne diseases cause a large number of deaths
in developing countries every year.
The mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water. The larvae breed in
this stagnant water. They breed in puddles, ponds and ditches that
fill with water and are not disturbed. They do not breed in moving
water. By disturbing stagnant water one can break the breeding
cycle. The mosquitoes that we find in our houses breed around our
houses. In places where water collects easily and is not disturbed
for some time like, empty cans, barrels, unused tires and blocked
gutters. If the water from small
swimming pools is not regularly cleaned then they can also
become a breeding area for mosquitoes.
Here are a few tips for
Control and reduce breeding ground
- Change the water in the birdbaths at least once a week.
- If you have a tire swing make a hole in the bottom to ensure
that rainwater is drained out.
- Do leave empty barrels and can out in the open as water can
collect in them.
- Drain children's pools weekly.
- Fill soil in those areas in the garden where water can collect
- Gutters should be cleaned regularly.
- Put fish into your garden pond. They will eat up mosquito
larvae. Alternatively use an agitator in the pond.
Controlling Mosquito Larvae
- Employ a professional pest controller to apply larvicides to
ponds, ditches in and around the house. Environmental friendly
larvicides are available in the market.
- You can ask a professional to introduce bacterial control
measures at the right time to get optimum results.
Controlling Adult Mosquitoes
- Mosquitoes spend most of the day resting in the shrubs and
bushes around the house. Hire a pest professional to apply residual
products to the vegetation around the house. Though this will reduce
the number of mosquitoes, the product will have to be reapplied
- Place mosquito traps available in the market on the porch, the
- While sleeping at night you can use a mosquito net or a mosquito
The best way to control mosquitoes is to eliminate breeding areas.