40 killed in fresh Nigeria attacks
Abuja – At least 40 people were killed in fresh attacks by gunmen in Nigeria’s state of Plateau, where ethno-religious crises have claimed hundreds of residents in the past, Xinhua reported citing sources Tuesday.
Police spokesperson Felicia Anselm confirmed the attacks in Barkin Ladi local government area of the Nigerian state.
Although many people have been con! firmed dead and several others were injured, the exact number of total ! casualties were yet to be ascertained.
She said the overnight attacks were carried out concurrently at four different locations including Foron, Gurabok, Rawuru and Tasu, all in the restive local government area also known as battle field for Fulani herdsmen and the native Berom people.
“We cannot give the exact number of the casualties yet because our men are collating the figures,” she told reporters in Jos, capital of the state.
According to her, the casualties figure would be publicized after collation.
Spokesperson of the Special Task Force (STF) instate Capital Salisu Mustapha said the coordinated attacks were carried out around 2 a.m., Tuesday morning by unidentified gunmen.
Mustapha said the attacked communities were Katu Kapang, Daron, Tul and Rawuru villages in Barkin Ladi and Mangu Local Government Areas. He said the attackers killed about 13 peoples in Katu Kapang, eight in Daron, nine in Tul and seven others in Rawuru.
! Local residents said more than 40 lifeless bodies, including those of pregnant women and children, were deposited at a nearby morgue Tuesday and that scores of people had been taken to hospital for treatment.
A mass burial was held for at least 15 victims of the overnight attacks in Tatu, one of the places that were attacked.