9:14 pm - Tuesday November 3, 2015

Bangkok bomb: Thai TV apologises for bomb re-enactment

10 Viewed Alka Anand Singh Comments Off on Bangkok bomb: Thai TV apologises for bomb re-enactment
_85102292_2dc6bbda-6186-44ba-a240-584e0e435f79

The re-enactment on Thursday evening sparked outrage among Thais at the shrine and online.
Executives at Nation TV have since acknowledged it was insensitive and disrespectful to the dead.
The bomb blast on Monday evening killed 20 people and injured scores more. Police are hunting for the suspect.
Nation TV presenters read out an apology on television on Thursday night.
An evening news editor with the station said in a statement posted online (in Thai) a team was sent out to re-enact the bombing at around 18:00 local time on Thursday A member of staff was dressed up to look like the suspect, the statement said. The team stopped filming when people at the scene “expressed frustration” at them.
The president of Nation Broadcasting Corporation Adisak Limprungpatanakij said separately that the plan was made “without consideration for the sensitivity of the public and with disrespect for the dead,” reported AP news agency.
He added that the station would consider disciplining those responsible.Twitter user BoyOfHeaven posted pictures on Thursday evening which appeared to show the Nation TV staff during the re-enactment.
“There is an unidentified TV crew, they have someone dressed as the suspect in the shrine. Police have asked him to leave the scene and people are shouting ‘terrible’ at him,” he said in a tweet that was later shared thousands of times online.
Mistaken identity
The incident was the second controversy involving identification of the suspect in the days following the blast.
Australian actor Sunny Burns, who teaches English in Bangkok, was mistaken as the main suspect earlier this week after a Thai journalist pointed out that Mr Burns resembled him.
Mr Burns said he later found that private details including his home address were being spread online.
He went to the police to give a statement on Tuesday, and posted a picture of himself at the station “to share any evidence in case something went wrong”, he said. He later posted CCTV video stills showing he was at his apartment building at the time of the blast.

Click here to submit your review.


Submit your review
* Required Field

Don't miss the stories followIndiaVision News and Information and let's be smart!
Loading...
0/5 - 0
You need login to vote.
Filed in
sri-lanka-election759

Sri Lanka: Ranil Wickremesinghe takes office as new Prime Minister

This screen grab taken from North Korean TV and released by South Korea's news agency Yonhap on August 21, 2015 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un (front) during an emergency meeting of the powerful Central Military Commission on August 20, 2015. North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un ordered his frontline troops onto a war-footing from on August 21, as military tensions with South Korea soared following a rare exchange of artillery shells across their heavily fortified border.    REPUBLIC OF KOREA OUT -- NO ARCHIVES -- NO INTERNET -- RESTRICTED TO SUBSCRIPTION USE  --  AFP PHOTO / NORTH KOREAN TV via YONHAP  -- NO MARKETING - NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS -- THIS PICTURE WAS MADE AVAILABLE BY A THIRD PARTY. AFP CAN NOT INDEPENDENTLY VERIFY THE AUTHENTICITY, LOCATION, DATE AND CONTENT OF THIS IMAGE. THIS PHOTO IS DISTRIBUTED EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY AFP.YONHAP/AFP/Getty Images

North Korean troops ordered onto war footing by Kim Jong-un

Related posts