3:08 pm - Tuesday October 20, 5896

Charlie Hebdo attack: Rush to buy new “survivors” issue

86 Viewed Gautam Comments Off on Charlie Hebdo attack: Rush to buy new “survivors” issue

Long queues have formed at newsstands in France for the latest edition of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Three million copies are being printed – a week after Islamist gunmen murdered eight journalists at the magazine and four other people in Paris.

The cover shows a cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad weeping while holding a sign saying “Je suis Charlie” (“I am Charlie”).

It is believed earlier cartoons of the Prophet prompted the attack.

The slogan “Je suis Charlie” has been widely used following the shootings.

In a separate attack in Paris two days later, four Jewish men died after an Islamist gunmen took hostages at a kosher shop in the French capital. A police woman was shot dead in a third shooting believed to have been carried out by the same attacker.Referring to last week’s shocking events, French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said his country was at war with extremism and terrorism – but not with Muslims.

He was speaking on Tuesday after funeral ceremonies were held for seven of the victims in France and Israel.

France has deployed 10,000 troops at various sites across the country – including synagogues, mosques and airports – in response to the attacks.Wednesday’s edition of Charlie Hebdo has an unprecedented print run of three million copies. Normally only 60,000 are printed each week.

Demand for what is being called the “survivor’s issue” of the magazine is high, correspondents say, especially as the proceeds will go to the victims’ families.

Kiosk owners told French media they had received large numbers of reservation requests, while at one shop in Paris all copies were reportedly sold out within 30 minutes.

Don't miss the stories followIndiaVision News & Information and let's be smart!
Loading...
0/5 - 0
You need login to vote.
Filed in

Italian marines case: Supreme Court grants three months extension of stay to one of the two accused

No Confirmation ‘So Far’ That Men In IS Execution Video Were Russian

Related posts