1:24 pm - Tuesday November 3, 2015

Hajj Stampede: Saudi Arabia police say 1,100 photos of dead are from start of hajj

29 Viewed Alka Anand Singh Comments Off on Hajj Stampede: Saudi Arabia police say 1,100 photos of dead are from start of hajj
380896-hajj-tragedy-2015

Saudi Arabia today said the nearly 1,100 photos distributed to foreign diplomats to help identify nationals who have died in the hajj are from the entire pilgrimage and not just a disaster near Mecca.

Officials in India and Pakistan said a day earlier that Saudi officials gave their diplomats some 1,090 pictures of those killed in last Thursday’s disaster in Mina, where two waves of pilgrims converged on a narrow road, causing hundreds of people to suffocate or be trampled to death.

But Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman Maj Gen Mansour al-Turki told The Associated Press the pictures also include people who died of natural causes.Many are pilgrims who reside in the kingdom and perform the hajj without the legal permits. Some are labourers from South Asian countries who choose to work in the kingdom in order to perform the hajj.

The list also includes unidentified victims from the 111 people who died when a crane tipped over into Mecca’s Grand Mosque on September 11.

The Saudi Health Ministry says the death toll for the incident in Mina on September 24 remains 769 people, with another 934 injured in the crush of pilgrims who were performing one of the final rites of the hajj.

It was the worst disaster to strike the annual pilgrimage in a quarter-century.

Faisal Alzahrani, the Health Ministry’s general director of communications, told the AP today that this figure remained accurate.

Alzahrani said civil defence authorities would be responsible for announcing any new death toll though most recently they relied on Health Ministry statistics. Civil defense officials could not be immediately reached.

Indonesia, which sends the largest contingent of pilgrims annually to the hajj, today criticised Saudi Arabia’s slow response to incident in Mina, saying its diplomats only received full access to the dead and injured on Monday night, four days after the disaster.

That access included seeing forensic records like fingerprints, said Lalu Muhammad Iqbal, an official in Indonesia’s Foreign Ministry. Those fingerprints may prove critical as many of the disaster’s victims lost their ID bracelets in the crush, he said.

Iqbal said 46 Indonesian pilgrims died while 10 were injured and 90 remain missing.

Lukman Hakim Saifuddin, Indonesia’s religious affairs minister, said in a statement yesterday that Indonesians did not have free access to hospitals to search for those injured.

Click here to submit your review.


Submit your review
* Required Field

Don't miss the stories followIndiaVision News and Information and let's be smart!
Loading...
0/5 - 0
You need login to vote.
Filed in
snowden_2566192f

US whistleblower Snowden draws crowd with Twitter debut

afghan-forces-in-kunduz_650x400_61443512223

NATO Troops Reach Kunduz to Support Afghan Forces

Related posts