Singapore riot: Indian nationals withdraw judicial review plea
Four Indians, facing charges for their roles in Singapore’s worst riot in four decades in December last year, have withdrawn their applications for judicial review proceedings against the government.
Three Indian nationals – Arun Kaliamurthy, Rajendran Mohan and Ravi Arun Vengatesh – had sought to quash certain conditions imposed on them pending their criminal trial related to the rioting. The trio were required to report daily to the Immigration and Check Point Authority.
“Two separate judicial review proceedings against the Government, brought by individual charged in connection with the Little India’s Riot, have been withdrawn by the individuals concerned,” Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) said in a statement on Friday.
Their lawyer M. Ravi told The Straits Times that his clients had “gotten used to the conditions” and had decided to drop their applications as the trial dates were drawing near.
Mr. Ravi had the proceedings cancelled on May 7 on behalf of the three. It was slated to be heard by a High Court Judge on May 12. The High Court granted the application, with costs amounting to SGD3,000 (USD 2,392) to be paid by the three applicants.
Mr. Ravi had applied to withdraw another judicial review application of Rajendran Ranjan, who had wanted to quash the stern warning administered by the police and the order of removal made by the Controller of Immigration. Mr. Rajendran also wanted to have his work permit reinstated. “A few months have passed and he (Rajnedran) has since continued with his life in India,” Mr. Ravi was quoted as saying.
The High Court has imposed a fine of SGD1,000 on Mr. Rajendran, which would be paid by his uncle Arumugam Sivanathan.
Twenty-five Indians were charged for the riot in Little India. Cases against 15 are pending while others have been dealt with.
Some 400 migrant workers from South Asia were alleged to have been involved in the riots in which 54 Singaporean officers were injured and 23 emergency vehicles damaged.