Recipe: Gosht Dum Biryani
Dinkar Sardesai, executive chef of Rama International, Aurangabad shares the authentic recipe of Gosht Dum Biryani.
1 kg Lamb meat
600 gm Basmati rice
100 gm Ghee
5 gm Clove
2 gm Cardomom seeds
3 gm Cinnamon
75gm Ginger garlic paste
4 nos Green chillies
1 tsp Kewra water
1 gm Saffron
Salt to taste
100 gm Onion sliced
2 pc Bay leaves
250 gm Curd
10 gm Red chilli powder
5gm Fresh mint leaves
5 gms Coriandaer leaves
2 gm Cardomom powder
2 gm Mace powder
20 ml Milk
1. Clean the mutton.
2. Soak the saffron in a little warm milk.
3. Wash basmati rice and soak in water for at least 1 hour.
4. Boil the basmati until three fourth done.
5. Cut ginger, green chilli and mint leaves into fine julienne.
6. In a pan, heat the ghee, stir fry the onion, cloves, bay leaves and cardamom, to a golden brown colour, add the mutton cubes, ginger-garlic paste, season to taste and cook on high heat for 10 minutes.
7. Add yogurt to the mutton as well as red chilli powder and slowly cook until the meat is almost done.
8. Remove the meat from the pot and strain the gravy (jhol).
9. Take another pot, add kewra water, cardamom and mace powder and milk dissolved saffron and cook for few minutes more.
10. Add the cooked mutton to the flavoured and seasoned jhol and the ¾ done rice to this.
11. Cover this pot with dough of bread, brush it with saffron and milk mixture and bake for 20 minutes.
12. Serve hot with salan and garlic flavoured raita.