Ingredients Nine teaspoons instant espresso powder dissolved in one and a half cups of water (cooled)
– 250 ml baileys – 400 grams Savoiardi biscuits – Two eggs – 75 grams of caster sugar – 500 grams mascarpone cheese – Two and a half teaspoons cocoa powder
Method 1. Mix the coffee with the Baileys (three-fourth of a cup) in a shallow bowl. Dip the biscuits into this liquid; let them soak on each side enough to become damp but not soggy. Line the bottom of the glass dish with a layer of biscuits.
2. Separate the eggs, but keep only one of the whites. Whisk the two yolks and the sugar together until thick and a paler yellow, then fold in the remaining one-fourth of the cup of Baileys, and the mascarpone to make a moussy mixture.
3. Whisk the single egg white until thick and frothy; you can do this by hand. Fold the egg white into the yolky mascarpone, and then spread half of this mixture on top of the layer of biscuits.
4. Repeat with another layer of soaked Savoiardi, and then top with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
5. Cover the dish with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight. When you are ready to serve, push the cocoa powder through a small tea strainer to dust the top.