Controversial documentary on Nirbhaya’s rape won’t be released as govt gets stay orders from court
Indian government has made it clear today in parliament that not at any cost Leslee Udwin’s documentary, ‘India’s Daughter’, which has the interview of one of the rapists of Nirbhaya, Mukesh Singh would be allowed to be telecast, or broadcast or published in India.
Giving a statement in Rajya Sabha, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that the government has obtained restraining orders from the court against the release of the film. The home minister said that he was shocked on how the interviewer (documentary maker Leslee Udwin) got the required permission to conduct the interview of a rape convict inside Tihar jail. Singh said that it would be ensured that no such permissions are granted in future.
Notably Leslee Udwin who had interviewed Mukesh Singh and many others including Nirbhaya’s parents for documentary, was to release her film on March 8, on NDTV, on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
Rajya Sabha members while raising the issue in the house demanded a speedy justice for Nirbhaya, who died after brutally being raped on December 16, 2012.
On the one one hand when the entire upper house members were critical of the documentary and were in favour of ban, two MPs namely Javed Akhtar and Anu Aga supported the release of the film.
MP Anu Aga in her arguments said that men in India do not respect women and the views expressed by the rapist in the film are views of many men in the country.
Lyricist Javed Akhtar, said that the comments made in the interview had been comments in the House also. Akhtar added that it was good that a documentary has been made, because it will expose how many men think like Nirbhaya’s rapist.