Delhi Police stop Arvind Kejriwal and his ministers at Rail Bhawan
Delhi chief minister and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal and his ministers are on their way to the dharna site in front of the home ministry in New Delhi demanding suspension of four Delhi Police officials for their alleged inaction in busting a “prostitution and drug racket” and in a dowry case.
Kejriwal has planned to go ahead with his protest even as the police imposed prohibitory orders banning unlawful assembly in the area.
According to TV reports, Kejriwal and his ministers have been stopped at Rail Bhawan, on their way to the protest site.
“Section 144 of the CrPC has been imposed in the New Delhi district. If anyone has any grievance, they may contact the local SHO or the local deputy commissioner of police instead of gathering anywhere or staging a protest in the New Delhi district area,” Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said on Sunday.
Police, however, maintained that the precautionary step had been taken in view of Republic Day — which is six days away — and had nothing to do with the AAP protest.
Kejriwal and his ministers had met Union home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Friday to demand action against four Delhi Police officials who, according to them, had refused to take action in two different cases. L-G Najeeb Jung had earlier ordered an inquiry into the incident by a retired judge.
The CM had also blamed the police for the way in which it had handled the rape of a Danish tourist last week.
After the meeting, the AAP government had said that the chief minister along with his cabinet colleagues and AAP MLAs will stage a dharna outside the home ministry from Monday if the SHOs of Malviya Nagar and Sagarpur police stations and two ACPs are not suspended for refusing to take action even after being directed by ministers Somnath Bharti and Rakhi Birla.
What Kejriwal said outside Rail Bhawan:
• There has been a rape and cops claim a probe is on. But just a probe isn’t enough
• Someone should take responsibility for the incident whether a constable or an official
• Delhi Police has to be held responsible for the continuing rapes in the city
• We met Delhi Police chief, Sushilkumar Shinde and demanded suspension of SHO of the area where rape took place
• We asked for suspension of officials, where a woman was burnt by her in-laws. But nothing was done
• Some people from Cong, BJP and media said that Somnath Bharti should not work for the people
• Ugandan high commissioner has praised Somnath Bharti’s raids
• High commissioner said a lot of women were brought to Delhi on promise of employment and forced into flesh trade
• Manish Sisodia gets out of car, says they will sit on protest outside Rail Bhavan itself
• Arvind Kejriwal to address the media
• We will give our lives for Delhiites but will ensure that they get their rights: Somnath Bharti
• Delhi Police detain supporters of an outfit raising slogans against Kejriwal at Rail Bhawan
• Delhi Police’s water canon vehicle reaches the confrontation site; Arvind Kejriwal remains stuck in car
• Police officials continue to surround Kejriwal’s car; negotiations on but both parties unwilling to budge
• Arvind Kejriwal remains stuck in his car; complete deadlock in front of Rail Bhawan
• Aam Aadmi Party minister Saurabh Bharadwaj standing in front of Arvind Kejriwal car, police persuasion continues
• AAP supporters shout slogans; cops push them away
• Activists wearing saffron Gandhi protesting against Arvind Kejriwal and his protest
• Officer Mukesh Kumar Meena says Arvind Kejriwal won’t be allowed to proceed towards home ministry
• Women AAP supporters flashing placards, shout “dilli police hai-hai”