Delhi University admissions remain procrastinate, AISA protesters detained over four-year course row
New Delhi: The stand-off between the University Grants Commission and Delhi University continues over the Four-Year Undergraduate Programme with no admissions for a third day on Thursday. More than 20 members of the All India Students Association have been detained and brought to the police station after they protested against the FYUP.
These students were planning to march to the Rashtrapati Bhavan to demand immediate intervention of the President.
The UGC had issued a fresh ultimatum asking DU to begin the admission process under the 3-year course from Thursday. But DU is silent so far. Admissions were slated to begin on June 24 but were deferred following the stand-off, leaving the students frustrated.
After long discussions between DU and UGC officials, the UGC issued the directive in the night in the wake of reservations among the colleges over implementing the three-year programme and starting the admission process.
The UGC claims that 57 out of 64 colleges in DU have accepted its directive. In the midst of all these developments, a move was initiated by a group of academicians, said to be supporters of DU Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh, in a bid to break the deadlock. They have proposed a three-year honours programme in place of the four-year course.
Senior HRD ministry officials said that the UGC has issued an ultimatum in the night to DU to start the admission process from Thursday onwards after rolling back the four year undergraduate programme (FYUP).
But several colleges feel they need clear cut guidelines. “We have agreed to the UGC’s order in principle but we cannot move forward without the directive of the university. It is not an individual decision. There are too many steps,” said S Lakshmi Devi, Secretary of DU Principals Association.
Meanwhile, members of the All India Students Association will march to the Rashtrapati Bhavan to demand immediate intervention of the President.