Today : Sunday - Apr 20, 2014, 01:48pm (GMT+5.5)
All News  
Top News
National News
International News
Business News
Sports News
   » Cricket
   » Football
Entertainment News
Sci - Tech
Politics News
Health & Fitness
Education
Travel
Lifestyle
Gulf News
Featured
 
::| Latest News
News in Pictures

Reliance Communications has made full repayment of two loans amounting to $1 billion (around Rs 6,000 crore), during the quarter ended June 30.The repayments have been from the company's rupee resources.

Business News
 

India's external debt rises to $335 billion

Friday - Mar 30, 2012, 05:55pm (GMT+5.5)
[+] Text [-]

New Delhi - India's external debt rose to $334.9 billion at December-end 2011, an increase of 9.4 percent in the first nine months of the current financial year, owing largely to higher commercial borrowings and short-term trade credit, the finance ministry said Friday.

Data released by the department of economic affairs showed that India's total external debt at the beginning of 2011-12 was $306.1 billion. It increased by $28.8 billion or 9.4 percent in the first three quarters of the fiscal. The government external debt stood at $81.2 billion, or 24.3 percent of total external debt.

The proportion of external debt to the country's gross domestic product (GDP) increased to 20 percent at December-end 2011 as compared to 17.8 percent at beginning of the financial year ending March 31, 2012.

The long-term debt rose to $256.9 billion at December-end 2011, recording an increase of $15.8 billion or 6.5 percent over the March-end 2011 level.

The short-term grew by $13.1 billion 20.1 percent to $78.1 billion during the period under review.

Short-term debt accounted for 23.3 percent of India’s total external debt, while the remaining (76.7 percent) was long-term debt.

Component-wise, the share of commercial borrowings stood highest at 29.9 percent, followed by Non-Resident Indian (NRI) deposits (15.7 percent) and multilateral debt (14.9 percent).

The ratio of short-term external debt to foreign exchange reserves was 26.3 percent at Dec 31, 2011 as compared to 21.3 percent at March 31, 2011.

India’s foreign exchange reserves provided a cover of 99.6 percent of the country's total external debt at the beginning of fiscal 2011-12, while it declined to 88.6 percent by the end of the third quarter.

The share of US dollar denominated debt was the highest in external debt stock at 56.9 percent, followed by the Indian rupee 18.6 percent, Japanese Yen 10.4 percent, special drawing right (SDR) 8.9 percent and Euro 3.8 percent.





|

Rating (Votes: )   

blog comments powered by Disqus

Other Articles:
Technopark creating big employment in Kerala (30th Mar, 2012)
Sensex closes 345 points up on tax clarification (30th Mar, 2012)
Devas Multimedia gets new chairman (30th Mar, 2012)
P-Note holders not liable to pay tax in India: Pranab (30th Mar, 2012)
Malabar Gold group to diversify into retailing of lifestyle products (30th Mar, 2012)
P-notes holders will not be taxed: Mukherjee (30th Mar, 2012)
‘Struggling’ BlackBerry maker Research in Motion to focus on business customers (30th Mar, 2012)
Apple's Chinese staff work for over 60 hours per week: Report (30th Mar, 2012)
India, Bangladesh extend protocol to liberalise trade (30th Mar, 2012)
Apple mulls settling patent fights with Samsung (30th Mar, 2012)
BRICS voices concern over slow pace of IMF reforms (30th Mar, 2012)
Ujjwal Mukhopadhyay named Avon India managing director (30th Mar, 2012)
L&T, Samsung Techwin to produce guns in Pune (30th Mar, 2012)
Technology firms awarded for innovation (30th Mar, 2012)
World Bank chief should be selected on merit: BRICS (30th Mar, 2012)
Huge capital inflows from West hurting us: BRICS (29th Mar, 2012)
Leela Charan Dutta, a rising to young Assames entrepreneur (29th Mar, 2012)
Uttarakhand's Chhoti Haldwani region promotes rural tourism through Corbett village body (29th Mar, 2012)
Bathinda refinery to be inaugurated in April (29th Mar, 2012)
Gujarat sugarcane mill owners anticipate bumper production (29th Mar, 2012)
Chinese Vice-Premier Li Keqiang guarantees IPR protection to Apple CEO (29th Mar, 2012)
England lose, Spain held in U-17 Euro qualifiers (29th Mar, 2012)
Facebook IPO set for May: WSJ (29th Mar, 2012)
Dunlop India appeals against liquidator's appointment (29th Mar, 2012)
Sensex languishes in afternoon trade (29th Mar, 2012)




Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use