8:24 pm - Tuesday November 3, 2015

Egypt Muslim Brotherhood mass death sentence ruling due

144 Viewed Gautam Comments Off on Egypt Muslim Brotherhood mass death sentence ruling due
Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohammed Badie shouts slogans from the defendant's cage during his trial with other leaders of the Brotherhood in a courtroom in Cairo

A court in Egypt is due to deliver final verdicts for hundreds of Muslim Brotherhood supporters accused of attacking a police station in 2013.

A judge recommended the death penalty for the 683 defendants, in a mass trial in April that drew widespread criticism from human rights groups.

Mohammed Badie, leader of the banned Muslim Brotherhood, is among them.

The military-installed government has sentenced at least 1,000 of its opponents since December.

Authorities have cracked down harshly on Islamists since former President Mohammed Morsi, who belongs to the Muslim Brotherhood, was removed by the military in July 2013 following mass protests.Saturday’s verdict is due to be delivered by a court in the town of Minya, south of Cairo.

The defendants face charges over an attack on a police station in Minya on 14 August 2013, in which policemen were killed.

Hundreds of Muslim Brotherhood supporters were also killed in clashes with police in Cairo that day.

Defence lawyers called the mass trial “farcical” and said many of those accused were not present during the clashes.

Following April’s trial, the recommended death sentences were referred to the Grand Mufti – Egypt’s top Islamic authority – for review.

The court was due to consider his opinion before issuing its final decision.

However correspondents say the case is likely to go to Egypt’s appeal courts.

On Thursday, Mr Badie and 13 others were also given recommended death sentences over a separate case involving deadly clashes last year.
Saturday’s verdict is due to be delivered by a court in the town of Minya, south of Cairo.

The defendants face charges over an attack on a police station in Minya on 14 August 2013, in which policemen were killed.

Hundreds of Muslim Brotherhood supporters were also killed in clashes with police in Cairo that day.

Defence lawyers called the mass trial “farcical” and said many of those accused were not present during the clashes.

Following April’s trial, the recommended death sentences were referred to the Grand Mufti – Egypt’s top Islamic authority – for review.

The court was due to consider his opinion before issuing its final decision.

However correspondents say the case is likely to go to Egypt’s appeal courts.

On Thursday, Mr Badie and 13 others were also given recommended death sentences over a separate case involving deadly clashes last year.

Click here to submit your review.


Submit your review
* Required Field

Don't miss the stories followIndiaVision News and Information and let's be smart!
Loading...
0/5 - 0
You need login to vote.
Filed in
hi

As Ukraine Announces Cease-Fire, White House Points Finger at Russia

isis

ISIS blitz continues in Iraq, militants take key border crossings

Related posts