Vettel slams double-points plan for final race of F1 season
London – Formula 1 world champion Sebastian Vettel has criticised plans to award double points for the final race of the season from 2014, according to reports.
According to the BBC, the winning driver of next year’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will earn 50 points instead of 25 under the proposals.
Vettel said that the decision was absurd and punishes those who have worked hard for a whole season.
Other teams and drivers are yet to comment on the plans following a meeting of the F1 Strategy Group and the Formula One Commission in Paris on Monday, the report said.
Red Bull driver Vettel would have lost the 2012 title to Fernando Alonso if such rules had been in place and is far from happy, the report added.
The double-points plan has been designed to increase the chances of keeping alive the battle for the title to the final Grand Prix of the season after Vettel won the 2013 championship with three races to spare, the report further said.
Other proposals include a budget cap from 2015 and allowing drivers to choose their own racing number, from two to 99, for their entire F1 racing career, the report mentioned.