Virat Kohli moves onto 15th spot in ICC’s Test batsmen rankings
Star Indian batsman Virat Kohli has moved up four places into the top 20 of the ICC Player Rankings for Test Batsmen, following the conclusion of the Melbourne test between Australia and India.
Australian captain Steve Smith led the batsmen’s charge following the conclusion of Boxing Day Tests, which included New Zealand defeating Sri Lanka by eight wickets in Christchurch and Australia drawing with India in the Melbourne. The South Africa-West Indies Test also ended in a draw in Port Elizabeth.
Smith, who scored a Test best 192 in the first innings, gained two places to claim fifth spot for the first time in his career and now trails number-one ranked AB de Villiers, who has regained the top spot from Kumar Sangakkara, by 40 ratings points. Kohli along with New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum is the other batsman inside the top 20 to make upward movements.
McCullum, who scored 195, has achieved a career-best 12th position by climbing two places. Kohli’s contributions of 169 and 54 have earned him four places and put him in 15th place.
The top 20 list is as follows:
1. AB de Villiers (South Africa)
2. Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka)
3. Hashim Amla (South Africa)
4. Angelo Mathews (Sri Lanka)
5. Steven Smith (Australia)
6. Shivnaraine Chanderpaul (West Indies)
7. Younus Khan (Pakistan)
8. David Warner (Australia)
9. Joe Root (England)
10. Misbah-ul Haq (Pakistan)
11. Ross Taylor (New Zealand)
12. Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)
13. Kane Williamson (New Zealand)
14. Michael Clarke (Australia)
15. Virat Kohli (India)
16. Faf du Plessis (South Africa)
17. Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka)
18. Asad Shafiq (Pakistan)
19. Cheteshwar Pujara (India)
20. Murali Vijay (India)