1:32 pm - Wednesday November 4, 2015

Frustrated Airtel snaps Loop deal

121 Viewed Gautam Comments Off on Frustrated Airtel snaps Loop deal
Bharti Airtel, Reliance Jio to share infrastructure
Bharti Airtel, Reliance Jio to share infrastructure

NEW DELHI: Disappointed at the lack of clearance to its bid to acquire the assets of Mumbai-based telecom operator Loop Telecom, Bharti Airtel pulled out of the deal, just weeks before the ailing company’s licence ends. The development comes as a dampener for the highly fragmented Indian telecom sector which has been seeking consolidation, especially after the government came out with new M&A (mergers and acquisitions) norms earlier this year.

Loop Mobile, Mumbai’s oldest operator which is owned by the Dubai-based Khaitan family, had entered into an MoU with Bharti Airtel in February that entailed transfer of its business assets and liabilities in a Rs 700 crore transaction.

However, telecom regulator Trai and the Department of Telecom raised objection to the transaction on the grounds that it did not give a choice to nearly 3-million subscribers (1.7 million at present) of Loop Telecom to port out to an operator of their choice. The operators, who presented their case before DoT, failed to receive a nod for the deal. Bharti Airtel had been getting frustrated with the delay in clearance. Vodafone and Idea Cellular had started eating into Loop’s subscriber base while also disconnecting services due to non-payment of dues (highlighted by TOI in its reports in earlier editions.)

Bharti came out with a terse statement, signed by group general counsel and company secretary Mukesh Bhavnani. “Under the agreements executed with Loop Mobile, the transaction was conditional upon DoT approval which even as of today has not been received. In this regard we have been in discussions with Loop. Loop had late last evening sent us an email noting that DoT approvals had not yet been received and had also noted that it was way beyond the time envisaged for securing such approval. In light of this update and the fact that Loop’s mobile licence is to expire at the end of this month, we have decided to terminate the discussions with regard to the transaction for acquiring subscribers of Loop.” Surya Mahadevan, chief operating officer of Loop Mobile, also confirmed the development. “The approval for the transaction is still awaited from the relevant authorities, as a result of which Bharti Airtel has withdrawn from the proposed transaction, causing huge loss to the company. Therefore Loop Mobile will not be able to migrate its subscribers to Airtel as originally envisaged.”

Vodafone has already sent a notice to Loop for recovery of its dues while Idea is understood to have knocked on the doors of the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) over the same matter.

Loop said that it is making attempts to aid the migration of its subscribers to other operators. “Loop Mobile has applied to Trai for release of additional porting codes (UPC) for facilitating port-out of all its subscribers. ” Mahadevan said.

Click here to submit your review.


Submit your review
* Required Field

Don't miss the stories followIndiaVision News and Information and let's be smart!
Loading...
0/5 - 0
You need login to vote.
Filed in
arun jaitly

Finance minister signals lower rate, cheaper funds

After U.S. President Barack Obama raised the issue of religious intolerance in India, The New York Times published a very strong editorial criticising Prime Minister Narendra Modi for what it calls his “dangerous silence” on a series of communal events in the country.The editorial, by the NYT editorial board, lists recent attacks on churches and reports of Ghar Vapsi or conversion and marks out the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) for its proposed conversions programme in Ayodhya in March this year, saying the group “was playing with fire.” “Mr. Modi’s continued silence before such troubling intolerance increasingly gives the impression that he either cannot or does not wish to control the fringe elements of the Hindu nationalist right,” the NYT editorial surmised.Full text of the Editorial published in the New York Times on February 6, 2015:What will it take for Prime Minister Narendra Modi to speak out about the mounting violence against India’s religious minorities? Attacks at Christian places of worship have prompted no response from the man elected to represent and to protect all of India’s citizens. Nor has he addressed the mass conversion to Hinduism of Christians and Muslims who have been coerced or promised money. Mr. Modi’s continued silence before such troubling intolerance increasingly gives the impression that he either cannot or does not wish to control the fringe elements of the Hindu nationalist right.Recently, a number of Christian churches in India have been burned and ransacked. Last December, St. Sebastian’s Church in East Delhi was engulfed in fire. Its pastor reported a strong smell of kerosene after the blaze was put out. On Monday, St. Alphonsa’s Church in New Delhi was vandalised. Ceremonial vessels were taken, yet collection boxes full of cash were untouched. Alarmed by the attacks, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India has urged the government to uphold the secular nature of India and to assure its Christians they are “protected and secure” in their own country.There is also concern about the mass conversions. Last December, about 200 Muslims were converted to Hinduism in Agra. In January, up to 100 Christians in West Bengal “reconverted” to Hinduism. Hard-line Hindu nationalist groups, like the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), make no secret of their support for a “homecoming” campaign designed to “return” non-Hindus to the fold. More than 80 per cent of Indians are Hindu, but Pravin Togadia of the VHP says his organisation’s goal is a country that is 100 per cent Hindu. The only way to achieve that is to deny religious minorities their faith.The VHP is reportedly planning a mass conversion of 3,000 Muslims in Ayodhya this month. The destruction of the Babri Mosque there in 1992 by Hindu militants touched off riots between Hindus and Muslims across India that left more than 2,000 people dead. The VHP knows it is playing with fire.Mr. Modi has promised an ambitious agenda for India’s development. But, as President Obama observed in a speech in New Delhi last month: “India will succeed so long as it is not splintered along the lines of religious faith.” Mr. Modi needs to break his deafening silence on religious intolerance.

PM asks Varanasi weavers to utilize growing e-commerce market

Related posts